Monday, February 21, 2011

Feb. 21, 2011

Hey!!!

Thanks for the email, and for the picture of Jansen. It's always great hearing from you.
Hey well maybe I should tell you about what has happened this week, because it has been a really great week. We got 3 new investigators this week! Which is really good, especially for this area. And they are also really possitive ones.
Let me first tell you about Jeff. A couple of weeks ago, Elder Poulsen and I knocked on this guy's door. He said he didn't have any time, but said we could try again some other time. A few days later, our district leader and his companion came on splits. I was with Elder Mauler. We went and knocked on his door, not knowing what to expect. Jeff opened the door. Jeff, as we came to learn, is a young guy around my age who was in the military for awhile, and even served in Afghanistan for 6 months, and he is now studying at a nearby university. We taught him a good lesson and gave him a Book of Mormon. We also got his number and gave him a card with our number. Now this is where the story gets really good! A couple of days later, HE contacted US. I think it was maybe the first time that someone has contacted me from a card that we gave. Not only did he ask us if he could meet with us again, but he asked if he could come to our church and meet with us there! I said, yeah of course. So the next day, Jeff came to our church. We showed him around, which took about 5 seconds. (we have a really small church building) And then afterwords, we sat down and had a great discussion with him for about an hour. Jeff had a lot of great questions for us and was really interested in what we had to say. He even took notes and wrote down a lot of the stuff we told him, so he wouldn't forget.

There is also Mogens. He is interesting because the first couple times we met him, he really didn't seem to care. He never made eye contact and didn't answer our questions. But he still let us talk to him at his door. We thought he was just too nice to say no. But everytime we meet him he seems more and more possitive. We gave him a book of Mormon and he said he would read it. We came again and he was so much different than before. He smiled when he saw us and actually looked at us. We asked if he started reading, and he said he started but apoligized that he didn't get very far. Haha. We were just surprized that he had read. People never read. I've noticed on my mission that the book of mormon is what determines if someone gets baptized or not. If they actually are willing to read it and try to find out, they get a testimony and get baptized. If not, they never progress. It's too bad that many people just aren't even willing to try. Anyway, he also wants to come to church next week.

The last one is Kim. Kim is a guy name here. Yes mom, you have a man name. He was a referal, and is way interested in learning about everything. He is always thinking about deep questions, and trying to get more knowledge. He also is going to come to church next sunday.
So things are going pretty good workwise at the moment. It's nice actually having appointments now.

The Johansens are a fun family. Appointments there are always exciting. We went there last monday for FHE with them. So I brought my guitar and played a couple hymns for them and we had a little activity and all. The kids are now obsessed with guitar and one of the kids wanted me to teach him how to play. So I taught him a couple of chords. The cool thing is they had an extra guitar case and they gave it to me! And it is a pretty nice one. It is going to be a lot more convenient than the cardboard box I have been using. The funniest part of the night would have to be the 20 minute conversation we had about swear words. Haha. I don't remember how it came up. I learned that in Denmark they use the S word in the same context as us, but it is not bad at all here. The kids were all saying it and the parents and they were all laughing. I guess it's just like saying 'Oh crud' here. Don't worry, I'm not going to start using it.

We also met with Ronnie on Saturday. He made some way good cheeseburgers. The funniest thing he said this time was that he makes pizza by the spirit... O_o He rolls the dough and spreads the sauce and then opens the fridge and prays for insperation for the things that will taste the best on the pizza. He also played piano for us this time.

So get this, last week, the weather was getting pretty warm and sunny. All the snow was melted and it felt great outside. And then all of a sudden it is colder than ever!!! It has been snowing again the past few days, and its always windy. It is frustrating. I'm ready for the summer!

Oh yeah, bowling was fun last week. I wasn't playing my best. I had that same problem, I always get nine pins, but there is always one stupid pin that won't fall. My top score was 130. The last couple games I was messing around and working on my spin. I got ok at it and got a couple strikes like that. I think I am just going to try perfecting that from now on.

The main things that I need are Garments and a razor. I was wanting a few more pairs of garments anyway, even before some of them were taken. So maybe like 5 pairs if possible. I like the mesh ones the best. I don't know what size it is. The same that you sent last time. I guess you probably don't remember that. I can't really check right now. With the razor, it was some replacements too. I had it all in that black bag for convenience and the whole thing was taken. Sorry about all this. I'll be more careful in the future. other than those two things, there isn't really anything I need.

That is cool that you went in to get your hair cut by Chelsey. She told me about it too. She said it was fun having you come in and getting to talk to you for awhile. I guess she is doing a good job with all that hair cutting stuff.

So, you guys bought a condo, went on a cruise, and now are going to Disneyland all while I am gone? Wow.. Hahaha, just kidding, I'm in Denmark for 2 years, I can't complain. That is cool. That will be a fun trip.

Hahaha, Dad thanks for the story! That gave me a nice laugh. It actually reminded me a lot of a former companion I had who was definitely not my favorite. I don't know why you told me that story either, but it a good one. Don't worry, I'm not in that same situation right now. I haven't written much about my comp Elder Poulsen, just because it is just a nuetral companionship. We get along just fine, but it's not like a Willy companionship with a ton of adventures every day. It's just a basic companionship.

I don't have any pictures this week. Sorry. Probably next time. Have a great week!

Love Elder Tyler Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment